This volume provides a comprehensive overview of the Old World colubrid snakes commonly known as Ratsnakes, and contains a wealth of new information on the natural history and generic classification of this fascinating group. The book should not be considered as a second edition to the monograph by SCHULZ (1996) but rather as a detailed account of all Old World species that are present or were former members of the genus Elaphe FITZINGER. The book is divided into 16 papers and represents the collective work of 18 contributing authors. This book also contains extensive photographic documentation of each species in their natural environments with contributions made by photographers from all over the world. The inclusion of over 900 colour photographs of all known species and subspecies, as well as colour morphs, makes this book an invaluable reference source to both amateur and professional herpetologists alike.
1. Systematics of Ratsnakes, by K.-D. Schulz;
2. An annotated and illustrated checklist of Old World ratsnake, by K.-D. Schulz
3. The Aegean populations of Elaphe quatuorlineata (LACEPEDE, 1789), by A. Cattaneo and M. Grano;
4. Predation on Coracias garrulus (LINNAEUS, 1758) by Elaphe quatuorlineata (LACEPEDE, 1789), by M. Grano & A. Cattaneo
5. Natural history, morphology and ecology of the Italian Aesculapian Snake, Zamenis lineatus, by M. Capula and L. Luiselli,
6. Episodes of predation on adult specimens of edible dormouse, Glis glis (LINNAEUS, 1766) by Zamenis longissimus (LAURENTI, 1768), by A. Cattaneo, M. Grano and C. Cattaneo;
7. Notes on ratsnakes from north-eastern India, by A. Das;
8. A contribution to the knowledge of the ratsnakes of Bhutan, by J.T. Wangyal;
9. Observation on cave-racers, Orthriophis taeniurus (COPE) in South East Asia, by L. Price;
10. Distribution and natural history notes on the ratsnakes of Japan, with special emphasis on the species of Hokkaido, by T. Tokuda;
11. Ratsnakes of Taiwan: An annotated photographic review, by Ch-W You, Sh.-W. Li and A. Lau;
12. Contribution to the knowledge of the Oriental Rhino Ratsnake, Rhynchophis boulengeri MOCQUARD, by K-D Schulz, S. Ryabov and X. Wang;
13. Undercover in the rainforest canopy: The Rainbow Tree Snake Gonyophis margaritatus, by K.-D. Schulz and A. Gumprecht;
14. The Asian Brown Snakes of the genus Xenelaphis, by A. Gumprecht and K.-D. Schulz.
15. Forty years of husbandry and breeding of Old World Ratsnakes, a summary by R. Fesser;
16. The Checklist of the extinct taxa allied to the Old World ratsnakes, with remarks on the phylogeny and radiation of Elaphe, Rhinechis and Zamenis by N. Helfenberger and K.-D. Schulz.